The last piece in this quilt is the orange-ish horizontal piece that kind of ties it all together.
Once again, this is a piece that has several processes on it. It was a pale orange-pink color after dyeing with some mostly spent dye that mostly washed out. So I used it for a breakdown screen printing experiment (another type of printing process), and that too mostly washed out! So last summer during quilt camp, when we made the crackle screens (there are actually 2 versions), I printed on this piece with thickened dye through the crackle screen. Thankfully, this time the dye was fresh enough that it didn't wash out and you see the result above. I cut a strip of this to place across the quilt and added some dyed cotton lace and a piece of yarn at the top for a perch for the little bird.
I had to remove the binding from the lace to flatten it out, and after it was machine stitched to the quilt, I embellished it further with hand stitching, using the holes in the lace as a guide. Click on the photo for a closer look.