Start by cutting your pieces; a quarter yard of each fabric is needed. The background was cut as a long quarter (9 x 44); the jewel tone can be either a long quarter or a fat quarter. From each fabric cut 4 pieces of these three sizes: 6 x 9, 6 x 2 1/2, 4 x 2 1/2. (The 6 x 9 is actually larger than needed, 5 1/2 x 8 would be big enough to cover section 3.) When you have everything cut, separate into 2 piles along with the corresponding paper pattern. The pattern piece with the 1" test square gets the large & small jewel tone pieces and the 6" background strip. The remaining pieces go with the other half of the square. (Step 1 below) I found it helpful to make all 4 of the same section before moving to the second group.
- fabric is place on the wrong side of the paper, wrong side of fabric against the paper (this will be the right side of the finished piece)
- always sew on the lines on the printed side of the paper
- hold the paper & fabric up to the light to check placement
- when placing the first piece of fabric, use a glue stick to put a small amount of glue on the paper to hold the fabric in place until the first seam is sewn
- use a smaller than normal stitch, about 1.5 cm, to make paper removal easier
Hope you found this tutorial helpful!