Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Collage Journal Cover

We started out Libby's Paint & Stitch class by painting papers, as shown in yesterday's post.  Then Libby demonstrated how she uses the painted papers to create a collage on the front of a journal cover.  (The one below is a sample collage, not an actual journal cover.  Wish I had taken more pictures of her journals!)
The papers are applied with matte medium and allowed to dry.  Then free motion stitching is added with black thread to give definition and add detail.
 A layer of felt underneath the canvas fabric adds stability and depth.
Libby adds thread sketching on the back as well as inside cover and signature on the inside back.  The top and bottom edges are "scribble" stitched to hold the layers together.
Above is Sue's collage before stitching.
And after stitching.  A standard composition book fits inside.  I wish I had taken more pictures of the process, but I was having so much fun creating, I didn't think about it!  I was also surprised how quickly this project came together.  Totally freeing, embracing imperfection!  Thanks, Libby!

1 comment:

  1. Just discovered Libby's work, love it! A new twist to what I have been doing with paper and fabric.

    ReplyDelete